Malawi, me, friends, stories, and whatever else I generally find interesting that's going on in this world...

Friday, July 13, 2007

The Global Implications of a Tree Hugger

Trees are massive

After two weeks of no internet access, no newspapers, no information influx, it’s hard to keep up with the news from the world. However, since I’ve been in town, I’ve remembered something along the lines of a Live Earth Concert/awareness campaign that has had huge global implications in my eyes.

Malawi is a small landlocked country with a giant lake covering about half of the country’s size. However, despite having so much water readily available to her people, Malawi is still vulnerable to certain global implications, one of which is the fluctuating weather patterns. On any normal day in Calgary at home, I wouldn’t have noticed the 1 or 2 degree increase in the last 10 years, but in Malawi, when the main livelihoods here are mainly dependant on the weather patterns causing drought, decreasing the crop resistance to disease amongst many other variables, it’s quite a different story.


More from Anne in Malawi



No comments: