Malawi, me, friends, stories, and whatever else I generally find interesting that's going on in this world...
Wednesday, May 30, 2007
Tuesday, May 08, 2007
Origami transforming star and frisbee
Making a mouse wheel not click.
Creative Discontent part 2 : CondomNation
How to hold/throw fire, without getting burned!
How to block anoying cell phone interference
Smoking fingers trick
Jump over to PSP-Hacks
In short, why (and when) do i need raw support on my PowerShot?
i. white balance could be set AFTER shooting, in raw converter. A different settings could be tested
i. although ADC in Canon A-series is only 10bit :-( RAW provides wider dynamic range than camera jpeg
i. easier to edit with greatest-quality raw converters
i. in-camera image processing tends to loose saturation badly in deep shadow areas, so you are limited at recovering them using Photoshop Shadows/Highlights function. Fill-light function of raw-converter can be used in case of RAW
i. you can recover more highlights in case of slight overexposure with highlight recovery mode, especially with non-standard lighting
If you don't have an idea what RAW-files are, look here: Wikipedia article about RAW
The the full story HERE
It's the fair month of May, which means countless graduates will walk across a stage and receive their diploma in the coming weeks. An educator at the Budapest University of Technology and Economics in Hungary writes in:
Some of my students will finish the university this year and leave the dormitory. We've spent 5-6 really fine years together and I'd love to give them some tips before they enter life. What is the thing you wish you'd been told when you just left school?
I could fill a book with things I know now that I wish I knew then, but instead I'm putting the question to you wise lifehackers. Got a life tip to share with graduates everywhere? Share it in the comments - and congratulations, graduates. —Gina Trapani
Read more HERE
When your gadget is stolen, you login to the GadgetTheft web site and turn on tracking for that device (you can set up several devices in one account). The next time your gadget is plugged in, GadgetTheft will attempt to recover the computer's IP address, location, Windows username, and computer name, among a few other tidbits. This information won't necessarily be enough to hunt down your iPod, but it's worth a try (people sometimes use surprisingly identifying usernames).
Read more HERE, then download your copy
It's amazing the things you can find in the dumpster. We found some expired coffee grounds that were thrown out and decided to use them to make an old pair of worn out jeans vintage and hip.
read more HERE about how to make your home-grown retro-jeans
One camera function that can be a lot of fun to play with (and that can get you some interesting
results) is slow sync flash.
Low Light Photography Options
When shooting with a subject in low light situations you generally have two options; either to shoot with a flash or to shoot with a slow shutter speed.
1. Flash - When shooting in low light with a flash in auto mode your camera will choose a relatively fast shutter speed. This means that your subject will be well lit and that if it is moving it will be frozen and as a result will be sharp. The problem with this is that it can also leave your subject lit up too brightly and can leave it’s background looking very dark as there is not enough time for the camera to collect any ambient light.
2. Slow Shutter Speed - The other option is to turn your flash off and shoot with a longer shutter speed in order to collect enough available light from the image to get a well exposed shot. This can be an effective technique if you’re shooting landscape or environmental shots where everything is nice and still - however if you’re shooting a moving subject it means you’ll get motion blur which could ruin your shot.
You may have already noticed that an inadvertent space bar press pages down the web page you're currently viewing, which by itself is all right useful, but couple that with Shift-space bar and you've got the tools to page back up, letting you navigate around a page entirely from the home row. For non-Firefoxers, the same is true for Safari
- 1. Hold your breath longer
- 2. Cure warts with duct tape
- 3. Stop brain freeze with your tongue
- 4. Scratch your leg to make it to the loo
- 5. Power use your ears
- 6. Free your mind under a high ceiling
- 7. Think while you sleep
- 8. Cure hiccups with water
- 9. Whistle with two fingers
- 10. Tell if someone's lying